Ways for Birth Mothers to Celebrate National Adoption Month
November is National Adoption Month, and, as a birth mother, you have a reason to celebrate. Perhaps more than anyone else. This is the best time of the year for you to share your story, acknowledge the choices you have made and to connect.
Keep in mind that if you have not chosen adoption yet, this month is the perfect opportunity for you to learn more about the adoption process. Reach out to people you know are involved in the process — birth mothers and families alike — and ask them to share their stories. Give our adoption agency a call if you have any specific questions you’d like to ask, or simply do some research on your own.
Share Your Adoption Story
As a birth mother, one of the most important things you can do during National Adoption Month is to share your adoption experience with the world. Despite the efforts being made all over the country to facilitate the adoption process, false stereotypes and information continue to circulate about adoption. By sharing your story with friends, family, and anyone else who wants to listen, you can help push the narrative in the right direction. Some of the best ways to get your voice out there are to:
- Tell your story on social media. Join a conversation that is already taking place or start a new one!
- Share your experience with friends and family. Let them be there for you. To comfort and encourage you and be your support system.
- Encourage others to learn more about the adoption process. Who knows who you might inspire, or who needs to hear about your adoption journey?
Acknowledge the Impact You’ve Made By Choosing Adoption
It is not uncommon for birth mothers to have misgivings about their decision to choose adoption, or feel isolated by their decisions. Take time this month to recognize the amazing things that you have allowed to happen!
- Get in touch with a support group. If you haven’t already, join one of the many support groups out there that help birth mothers. Connect with other women who have walked in your shoes, or who are in a similar position as you. This is a great way to connect with one another, and November is the perfect time to do so!
- Recognize the difference you have made. Not only have you given the most important gift of all to the adoptive family, but you have also given your child an incredible new life!
- Call or visit your child’s adoptive family, and ask how things are going. Offering advice or simply learning about how your child is faring will certainly help to visualize the impact you have made.
Connect with Your Adoption Triad
During National Adoption Month, connection can come in many forms. It can mean reaching out to other birth mothers sharing their story, or responding to the questions people have about the process. It can mean forming new friendships, or even reestablishing old ones. Some of the best ways to connect with others during November are:
- Reach out to your adoptive family. Ask them how they are doing and if there is a way you can connect!
- Take this time to catch up with your child. If you aren’t ready to see him or her in person, ask their adoptive family how they are doing, what’s changed, and how your child has continued to grow.
- Visit with friends and family. While this may seem unrelated, spending time with those you love is one of the best ways to care for yourself during this time.
Celebrate National Adoption Month as a Birth Mother
Keep in mind that no matter how you celebrate National Adoption Month, there is no wrong way to do so. By being a birth mother, you have made one of the greatest contributions of all. Simply acknowledging this is one of the most important things you can do.
If you ever need any support, don’t hesitate to reach out to your friends and family, support group members or us. You are not alone during this time, and you make a difference!
As an expectant woman or birth parent, to learn more about adoption, contact Adoption Choices of Texas. You can call us at 888-307-3340, text us at 888-307-3340, or email us here. If you are hoping to adopt, please visit us here. We look forward to helping you through your adoption journey!
Meet the Author: Elijah Weiner is currently studying English and East Asian Studies at Denison University, and spends the majority of his free time reading a good science fiction book. His interest has always been in fiction, so whether he is reading or writing it is always based upon the imaginary world.
Elijah lives in Boulder, Co and spends his free time reading or bicycling outdoors.