Unplanned Pregnancy in College
Managing a pregnancy under normal conditions can be difficult, but facing an unplanned pregnancy during college comes with its own unique challenges. Regardless of the decision you plan to make after pregnancy, there are resources and options available to help you along the way.
While Adoption Choices of Texas offers support to all college and university students across Texas, we want to highlight the University of Texas Arlington, the University of Texas at Austin, and the Lady of the Lake in order to discuss specific assistance offered to students at those universities.
Title IX – Pregnancy
According to Title IX, teachers and staff are prohibited from discriminating against a pregnant or breastfeeding student. They are also required to provide assistance, if necessary, to ensure that you can continue to succeed as a student. This can take the form of relaxed deadlines, adjustments to seating arrangements, or even one-on-one consultations.
Things to keep in mind
No matter where you are located, there are a few important things to note when dealing with an unplanned pregnancy in college:
- Your health matters – Take the time to make sure you are staying healthy, for you and your child’s sake. Take ample time to rest, and check in with your school healthcare provider whenever necessary.
- There are a few adjustments to make – Keep in mind that even simple activities may become more difficult as your pregnancy advances. Plan out the best ways to stay comfortable in class, as well as while exercising or performing other activities.
- Build a support group – Make sure that your friends are aware of your situation and willing to help. Letting them know ahead of time will make it easier for them to support you when the time comes.
- Adoption is always an option – If parenting is not an option for you, you can choose adoption. It’s okay if you’re not ready and creating an adoption plan can be a healthy loving experience!
Adoption near Lady of the Lake
According to OLLU’s website, they will not “discriminate against students on the basis of sex, including a student’s pregnancy, childbirth, or those who are already raising children… Our goal at OLLU is to ensure that students are able to work successfully toward completion of their degree. We provide equal access to educational programs and activities for students who might be, are, or have been, pregnant. Students who are currently pregnant and/or parenting, and who are in need of assistance with temporary accommodations, should contact SSD.” Should you decide to parent or place your child for adoption, as a college student with Lady of the Lake, during your pregnancy, you will be supported and protected!
While both the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Texas at Arlington have similar anti-discrimination policies, here are just a few of the programs available on each college campus:
Adoption near University of Texas at Austin
- Housing on and off campus
- Child development center
- Lactation rooms on campus
Adoption Near University of Texas Arlington
- Off-campus housing
- Women’s health center
Unplanned Pregnancy in College
Facing an unplanned pregnancy in college is never easy, but with the right mindset, and the right resources, it can be much less strenuous. Stay in contact with your friends and family, and keep in touch with your professors. Our local adoption agency in Texas is available 24/7 to address any concerns that you might have, as well as to help you find any additional resources that you need. You are not alone during this time, and we are here to help.
As an expectant woman or birth parent, to learn more about adoption, contact Adoption Choices of Texas. You can call us at 945-444-0333, text us at 945-444-0333, or email us here. If you are hoping to adopt, please visit us here. We look forward to helping you through your adoption journey!
Meet the Author: Elijah Weiner is currently studying English and East Asian Studies at Denison University, and spends the majority of his free time reading a good science fiction book. His interest has always been in fiction, so whether he is reading or writing it is always based upon the imaginary world.
Elijah lives in Boulder, Co and spends his free time reading or bicycling outdoors.