Baby Safe Haven or an Adoption Plan?
For birth mothers who have made the decision that they are unable to provide care for their baby, a question will most likely follow that decision; what next? Birth mothers who have sought out information about what their next steps could be may have stumbled upon two options for themselves: Baby Safe Haven or an adoption plan.
It can be a confusing and daunting task to try and decide which way to go for yourself and your child. There is so much information and misinformation on the internet, it can be difficult to figure out what is the best option for you. But, you are in good hands. Adoption Choices of Texas is here to help.
Every birth mother is in a different situation; it is important to know that you are not alone and there are options for you based on your circumstances.
What is a Baby Safe Haven?
A Baby Safe Haven is a designated safe place where you can bring your newborn baby if you are unable to provide care for him or her. No questions will be asked of you. The baby is then given medical care and placed with an emergency provider. These designated places are a safe place for both you and your baby.
Designated Safe Haven’s include:
- Fire stations
- Free-standing emergency centers
- Emergency medical services (EMS)
- Adoption Centers (Adoption Choices of Texas included!)
Baby Safe Havens were installed by the Safe Haven law — also known as the Baby Moses Law — in Texas and across the country, as a way to provide birth mothers another means of placing their child for adoption. There are some requirements for placing your child at a Baby Safe Haven. If you are considering bringing your baby to a Safe Haven, here is some information to remember:
- Your baby must be less than 60 days old.
- Your baby must be unharmed and safe.
- In Texas, you can take your baby to any fire station, hospital or EMS station.
- Depending on the Safe Haven place you chose, you may need to give your baby to an employee who works at a Safe Haven and tell them you want to place your child there.
- You may be asked by an employee for family and medical history, but you do not have to answer them.
As long as your baby is unharmed and healthy, you do not need to worry about being charged with abandonment or neglect. Everyone is in a different circumstance and situation in life. And this is why Safe Havens were created. To provide birth mothers a safe, legal and confidential way of placing their children in the process of adoption.
What is an Adoption Plan?
An adoption plan is a careful and thought out adoption process that is done through an adoption agency such as Adoption Choices of Texas. The adoption agency will meet with you and create an adoption plan that is based on your needs and wishes.
Adoption agencies will have a step by step procedure of how to place your baby for adoption. Your adoption procedure will be based on your needs and wishes. This procedure includes:
- Accessing medical care
- Specifics of adoption planning
- Involvement of birth father
- Choosing the adoption family
- Signing adoption paperwork
The idea of going through an adoption plan may sound daunting and intimidating. There are lots of factors to consider. But, at our agency, we are here to help you through this difficult process.
Benefits of Baby Safe Haven
There are benefits for birth mothers to choose to take her baby to a Baby Safe Haven over an adoption plan. Most importantly, and one of the reasons why these places were created, is to ensure the safety of not just the baby, but the mother as well.
Birth mothers can live in a variety of circumstances. Unfortunately, many birth mothers do not feel comfortable or safe going through an adoption plan that they believe could reveal their secret to their family. While we do not reveal confidential information to family members of birth mothers, it is an understandable fear that birth mothers have and they feel that taking their child to a Safe Haven is their only option.
For many birth mothers in an unsafe situation, placing their baby at a Safe Haven is the only safe option she has for both herself and her baby. It is confidential and could be a suitable option for both yourself and your baby.
Benefits of an Adoption Plan
Choosing to go through an adoption agency in Texas may sound like a complicated and daunting idea, but there are many benefits of using an adoption plan to place your baby for adoption. For many birth mothers, choosing an adoption agency to help them through their nine months of pregnancy is the right decision. It provides not only themselves but their child with benefits and advantages.
One of the top advantages for birth mothers to choose an adoption plan is that they are in control of the process. As the birth mother, you will be able to make important decisions about not only you but your baby as well. You can think about your decisions and give yourself the time to make important decisions. By utilizing a Baby Safe Haven, the birth mother loses control of what happens next for their child. Through an adoption plan, birth mothers have control and an option on things such as selecting the adoptive family, deciding the level of involvement you want with your child, and the ability to create a custom adoption plan to fit your needs.
Another benefit of going through an adoption plan is that adoption agencies provide you with many forms of support and guidance through this difficult process. Agencies will create an adoption plan that is based on your specific needs and wants. You have the ability to discuss your options with a group of people who are understanding and sympathetic to your emotions, feelings, and questions. No question, emotion or feeling is invalid. We are here to help you through this difficult time.
Our agency will also provide birth mothers with many different services to assist them through the adoption process:
- Included with your adoption plan will be financial help. Adoption Choices of Texas will assist you with necessities such as essential bills, groceries, rent and clothing. Pregnancy can be a stressful time in a woman’s life. It can be a stressful time when you have to consider staying safe, healthy, and emotionally healthy. We do not want finances to be another stressor for you during your pregnancy. So, they will assist you during this time.
- If you find yourself unable to find reliable transportation and housing, we can assist you with both. For many birth mothers, on top of being pregnant, they can find themselves in a housing crisis or in an unsafe living situation. Our agency will arrange a safe, clean and comfortable living place for you to stay at during and after your pregnancy. Also — if you need transportation to doctor’s appointments, shopping and important meetings during the adoption process, we will help you have the transportation you need.
- We understand that having adequate medical care during your pregnancy is an important part of your adoption plan. You do not need to worry about the price of doctor appointments. Whether you have medical insurance, private insurance, or if the adoptive family is paying for prenatal care, maternity care is a priority for a safe pregnancy. Unplanned pregnancy is a hard situation and medical care should not be a concern for you. Your health is our priority.
- Our adoption counselors know what you are going through and are here for you. To help you through this difficult journey. You won’t have to go through this alone.
Baby Safe Haven or an Adoption Plan?
For many birth mothers, choosing an adoption plan is a suitable option that provides many benefits for both themselves and their child. It gives them a sense of control in what will happen in the lives of their child. It provides them with support and guidance through a difficult time and through the adoption agency, they are given resources that they might desperately need.
However, Baby Safe Haven can also be a suitable option for birth mothers. Every single birth mother is in a different circumstance. Unfortunately, many birth mothers are in situations where they may feel unsafe if their pregnancy is revealed. For them, placing their child at a Baby Safe Haven could be their only safe and available option.
No matter what you chose, it is important to remember that you are not alone in this process. You might feel that way, but there are people out there that care and understand what you are going through. They are here to help you, no matter what your choice is.
As an expectant woman or birth parent, to learn more about adoption, contact Adoption Choices of Texas. You can call us at 888-307-3340, text us at 888-307-3340, or email us here. If you are hoping to adopt, please visit us here. We look forward to helping you through your adoption journey!
Meet the Author: Sarah Henderson can best be described as someone with an eclectic taste in all things related to literacy and writing. She can be found reading a wide array of subjects from true crime novels to the next young adult fantasy series. Because of her love of literature, it has been Sarah’s dream to become a novelist herself.
After graduating from college in 2019, Sarah has been spending her time planning, researching and writing for her first novel.
When she isn’t reading or writing her novel, you can find Sarah out for her early morning run, hiking a three-plus mile hike or cooking her favorite vegan meal. She presently lives in Indianapolis, IN and is waiting for the next chapter of her life to begin!