Exploring the Difference between Transracial Adoptions and Their Benefits
By Bruce Kong
Black History Month is a special time that plays a major role in U.S History and shows how far we have come as a country.
We’re not here to force you or persuade you into choosing a transracial adoption; we hope that you will consider it and embrace its beauty. If you are considering placing your child up for adoption through your local adoption agencies, then a transracial adoption might just be for you! And it does not matter where you are in Texas! You can choose to have an adoption in San Antonio or an adoption in Austin – either way – we will make the adoption work out for you.
If you need help with adoption now, you can call us at 945-444-0333, text us at 945-444-0333, or email us here.
What is Transracial Adoption?
Transracial adoption is the action in which adoptive parents decide to adopt a child of a different race. With cultural norms changing over the years, adoptive parents have seen the value of adopting children of a different race. The need for a child to look just like them does not need to play an important part in the adoption process anymore, and it would be an opportunity for the adopting parents to step out of their comfort zone to create a multicultural household.
Terms Used in a Transracial Adoption for Your Benefit
- Transracial – A Transracial Adoption means placing a child of a different race or ethnicity with an adopting family of a different race and ethnicity. In most cases, the parents going through a transracial adoption are usually white, but not all the time.
- Transcultural – The adoptee must become exposed to different cultures at an early age. Cross-culturing will open the eyes of the adoptee to other ethnicities, and when that happens, a sense of appreciation will come from them when they become older.
- Interracial – The idea of the adoptee growing up in a family that is a different race for them to understand that it is okay to have parents whose skin color, religion, or names may be different from their own. Fortunately, before you go through the adoption process, your birth mother’s adoption options are not limited to just one family. You will review family portfolios and choose which family you want to raise your child. And the best part is that you can choose between an Open Adoption, Semi-Closed Adoption, and Closed Adoption.
- Multiracial – Your child will experience firsthand the beauty of mingling with different races from their own. There are people from races and ethnicities that your child will soon cross paths with, and it’s only a matter of time before they will build multiracial relationships of their own!
Benefits of Transracial Adoptions
A transracial adoption allows families to develop and allows for race and diversity to form relationships built on the foundations of love and trust. But there are other ways that transracial adoptions can benefit families:
- Improved Identity. Transracially adopted children must often face identity matters at a young age, and if handled correctly, they will have a healthier sense of identity. Their identity concerns will be dispensed with at an earlier age, so they will have the chance to grow up into assertive and self-assured people.
- Accepting diversity. When adoptive parents adopt a child outside of their race, they are offering a child the chance to know and embrace diversity. Transracial adoptions are a way of evolving beyond ignorant preconceptions and making room in the world for modern families that fluctuate in all cultural customs and outlooks.
- Good Quality Life. There are countries in the world that are experiencing a horrible economic wave; some children do not receive the appropriate medical care or proper education. And some people want to assist orphaned children and offer them a loving and compassionate family. They choose a transracial adoption to offer a child a second chance at life!
Still Unsure if Transracial Adoptions are for Your Child?
It’s a big leap to take, and it will take time for you to ponder. Trials will test adoptive parents in the future, but one thing to remember is that they are providing a child with a second chance at having a family. Change is scary; however, with time and patience, they will find that going through a transracial adoption was worth it all along.
The Adoption Process in Texas is here for you to walk through the detailed steps of the adoption. We will try our best to find the best answer to your questions and will make you and your child our number one priority when you partner with us. Remember, your local adoption agencies are here to help!
As an expecting woman or birth parent, to learn more about adoption, contact Adoption Choices of Texas. You can call us at 945-444-0333, text us at 945-444-0333, or email us here. If you are hoping to adopt, please visit us here. We look forward to helping you through your adoption journey!
Adoption Choices of Texas es la única agencia de adopción con servicios completamente en esapñol en el estado de Texas. Si está embarazada y necesita ayuda, llámenos o envíenos un mensaje de texto y uno de nuestros especialistas en adopción podrá ayudarlo. Podemos ayudarte con la adopcion de niños. Para obtener más información sobre el proceso de adopción como una mujer embarazada o una madre biológica, comuníquese con Adoption Choices of Texas. Para español llamar: 888-510-5029