16 and Pregnant – What Do I Do?
If you are reading this post, chances are that you have found yourself in a situation that many young women like you have found themselves in — an unexpected pregnancy. An unexpected pregnancy is a difficult circumstance that millions of women all around the world deal with every day. But, it may feel an extra level of difficulty if you are sixteen and pregnant.
Your mind is probably racing with a million different questions. But, the biggest question running in your mind is most likely: I am sixteen and pregnant, what do I do?
The first thing you must remember is that everything will work out in the end. You have done nothing to be ashamed of and are in a very natural situation that many teenagers find themselves in. Right now, you are feeling a whirl of emotions ranging from fear, sadness, and even anger. That is all natural and okay to feel! But, this post, along with other resources from Adoption Choices of Texas, will give you a guideline as to how to begin a challenging, but hopeful journey that you are about to start.
Teen Pregnancy What do I do?
Tell a Parent or Trusted Adult
One of the first things that you must do, and probably the one you are afraid of the most, is telling your parent(s). You may have thought out a million different scenarios and ways to tell them. All of them you eventually talk yourself out of because you are too scared of what they might say. That is understandable to feel and to be expected.
This is a scary and nerve-wracking experience for you and telling your parents will be one of the most challenging things you will ever have to do. But, they are your parents. They are there for you during the great times in life and the most difficult. This is one of those difficult times, and they will be there with you through it all. That is their job; to love and support you no matter what.
Now, that isn’t to say that the conversation won’t be difficult and full of emotion. But, in the end, they will love and support you because you are their child. However, if you still feel that you aren’t ready to tell your parents, reach out to an adult that you trust.
Make an Adoption Plan
After you have discussed with your parents what your next steps could be, adoption may be high on your list of options for you. This is a great and honorable decision to make. But, you need to know a bit more about placing your baby for adoption and what the next steps of placement would look like for you.
- Reach out to an Adoption Agency
- If you’re thinking about adoption, reaching out to an adoption agency is the best way for you to gain more knowledge about what your adoption plan could look like. If you call Adoption Choices of Texas, for example, you will speak directly to an adoption specialist. They will then give you key information about what adoption is and looks like. You will be able to gain an understanding of what adoption will be like for you, your family, and your baby.
- Establish and Receive Medical Care
- One of the most important things for you to do, and what an adoption specialist will recommend, is to receive medical care. No matter what your choice is after finding out about your pregnancy, medical care is a must for your wellbeing. A doctor will be able to help you receive the best care to ensure you have a safe delivery. They will also be able to answer burning questions you have and make you feel at ease that you will be as safe and healthy as possible.
- Consider Adoption Counseling
- Another essential resource for you to potentially utilize is to receive unexpected pregnancy or adoption counseling. Counseling is an important tool that can help you to make the best decision for you and your baby. It can be beneficial to talk to someone who has no bias, say, or impact on your personal life. Being able to talk freely with someone you can trust can be a source of comfort for you during these difficult months.
Build Your Adoption Support System
Another important thing for you to remember is that it is okay to ask for help and to have those you love surrounding you during this difficult time. During challenging periods in life, it is your support system that truly helps you get through it all. This is the same for when you are going through the ups and downs of an unexpected pregnancy.
You may feel ashamed or embarrassed to reach out to your family, friends, and loved ones. But, you should never feel this way. What you are experiencing is not only normal, but nothing to be ashamed of. You are going through a difficult experience and if your friends and family truly care for you, they will want to be there for you throughout it all.
A good friend who is there to listen when you are upset, go with you to doctor appointments and uplift you when you make difficult decisions is truly what will get you through these challenging nine months. This will help to bring positivity, laughter, and meaning during your pregnancy and in the months after.
16 and Pregnant – What Can I Do?
Know that all the emotions you may be experiencing right now are natural and valid. This may not be an easy nine months for you. Just thinking about telling your parents may be too difficult to comprehend, much less what you will do after telling them. Your mind is probably racing with a million different questions and scenarios.
The first and most important thing you must remember is that everything will work out in the end. You have done nothing to be ashamed of and are in a very natural situation. As emotionally raw as you may feel in this moment, everything will be alright. You are not alone. Adoption Choices of Texas will work with you to help you make the best decision for you and your baby. We will help to make the next nine months of your life as stress-free, happy, and fulfilling as possible.
As an expectant woman or birth parent, to learn more about adoption, contact Adoption Choices of Texas. You can call us at 888-307-3340, text us at 888-307-3340, or email us here. If you are hoping to adopt, please visit us here. We look forward to helping you through your adoption journey!
Meet the Author: Sarah Henderson can best be described as someone with an eclectic taste in all things related to literacy and writing. She can be found reading a wide array of subjects from true crime novels to the next young adult fantasy series. Because of her love of literature, it has been Sarah’s dream to become a novelist herself.
After graduating from college in 2019, Sarah has been spending her time planning, researching and writing for her first novel. When she isn’t reading or writing her novel, you can find Sarah out for her early morning run, hiking a three-plus mile hike or cooking her favorite vegan meal. She presently lives in Indianapolis, IN and is waiting for the next chapter of her life to begin!