13 and Pregnant – What Do I Do?
If you are reading this, you are most likely in the first stages of one of the most challenging stages that a woman or girl can go through — an unplanned pregnancy. If you’re thirteen and pregnant, this may be even more of a challenge and shock.
This may be a scary and uncertain time for you in your life. Pregnancy is something that you, as a thirteen-year-old, never imagined having to deal with at such a young age. As terrified as you may feel right now, there is hope and things will work out in the end. This post, along with the resources from adoption agencies such as Adoption Choices of Texas, will be a key tool for you being thirteen and pregnant and what you can do to make the coming months as stress-free as possible for you.
You’re Going to Be Alright
Dealing with an unexpected pregnancy at any age is an emotionally challenging journey that millions of women face every year. But for you, as a thirteen-year-old, this can feel more stressful and uncertain. In many ways, you may still consider yourself a child who is just beginning to understand the complexities of being an adolescent. The thought of having to make adult decisions when you may not feel like one may seem like a terrifying prospect.
The most important thing for you to remember is that everything is going to be alright.
It may not seem like it right now, but things will be alright in the end. You have done nothing to be ashamed of. This difficult journey is one that many women and girls experience in their lifetimes. You are not different and it is nothing to be ashamed of.
Tell a Parent
The idea of telling your parent(s) about your unexpected pregnancy may seem completely terrifying. You are probably avoiding having this unbelievable conversation with them at all costs. You may be thinking;
- How can I tell them?
- What will they think of me?
- Will they still love me?
It will be a difficult and emotional conversation to have with your parents. But, the important thing to remember is that they are still your parents, no matter what. They will always love you, protect you and be there for you during the most challenging moments in life. This moment will be no different. It won’t be easy to tell them, but it is a conversation you need to have as soon as possible. If you feel that you are too scared to tell your parents first, tell an adult who you trust. It may be easier for you to tell your parents after telling a trusted adult first.
Make an Adoption Plan in Texas
After telling your parents about your unexpected pregnancy, you will begin to form a plan of what your next move could be. Adoption may be an option you are considering. If you and your parents are thinking that adoption may be the best option for you and your child, there are a few important things to know about taking the next steps toward placement for adoption.
- Reach out to an Adoption Agency
- If you’re contemplating placing your child for adoption, reaching out to an adoption agency is the best way to gain more knowledge about what your adoption plan could look like. If you call Adoption Choices of Texas, for example, you will speak directly to an adoption specialist who will give you key information about what placement for adoption looks like. You will be able to gain an understanding of what adoption will be like for you, your family, and your baby.
- Receive Medical Care
- One of the most important things for you to do after realizing you are pregnant and tell your parents is to receive medical care. No matter what your choice is after finding out about your pregnancy, medical care is a must for your wellbeing. Being as you are thirteen-years-old and pregnant, there can be risks involved. Your body may not be as ready for pregnancy. A doctor will be able to help you receive the best care to ensure you have a safe delivery. They will also be able to answer pressing questions and make you feel at ease that you will be kept as safe and healthy as possible.
- Receive Adoption Counseling
- Another important resource for you to potentially utilize is to receive unexpected pregnancy or adoption counseling. Whether or not you have made a final decision about what to do about your pregnancy, counseling is an important tool that can help you to make the best decision for you and your baby. It can be beneficial to talk to someone who has no bias, say, or impact on your personal life. Being able to talk freely with someone you can trust can be a source of comfort for you during these difficult months.
13 and Pregnant – What Do I Do?
Dealing with an unexpected pregnancy at any age is an emotionally challenging and draining event to go through. But, this is even more so challenging when you are thirteen and dealing with an unexpected pregnancy. You are probably feeling very scared, lost, and alone. This is completely natural and understandable to feel.
But, as terrified as you may feel right now, there is hope for you, your future, and your baby. Remember that you have done nothing to be ashamed of and that this does not define you as a person. Adoption Choices of Texas will work with you throughout this emotional process to make these nine months as stress-free as possible for you and your baby.
As an expectant woman or birth parent, to learn more about adoption, contact Adoption Choices of Texas. You can call us at 888-307-3340, text us at 888-307-3340, or email us here. If you are hoping to adopt, please visit us here. We look forward to helping you through your adoption journey!
Meet the Author: Sarah Henderson can best be described as someone with an eclectic taste in all things related to literacy and writing. She can be found reading a wide array of subjects from true crime novels to the next young adult fantasy series. Because of her love of literature, it has been Sarah’s dream to become a novelist herself.
After graduating from college in 2019, Sarah has been spending her time planning, researching and writing for her first novel. When she isn’t reading or writing her novel, you can find Sarah out for her early morning run, hiking a three-plus mile hike or cooking her favorite vegan meal. She presently lives in Indianapolis, IN and is waiting for the next chapter of her life to begin!